


Okay, so the first picture is of the beautiful sunset from the beach this past weekend. The second photo is of the awesome monkeys that attacked us because we had food. The third photo is the scenery that I see every day. I love it.
I have been in Costa Rica for over two weeks.
I am still learning a lot. It's very challenging in many ways. It can be frustrating. I become frustrated with my Spanish skills and how hard I have to work in my classes along with speaking to my family every day. Not that I don't love it. I do, but it's a ride for sure. Then, oh boy, the topics we're trying to discuss in our basic seminar course (which covers history, culture, current events in Costa Rica in consideration with the world) can be challenging. I think I struggle most with what they have to say about the United States and about the war in Iraq. Some of the things said by other students can just be so ignorant because all the information they have is from this basic seminar, so yeah, emotional and frustrating. But hey, it's what I asked for.
I've come so close to crying from all the emotions, but I have no time to actually cry. I always need to be around people or be working on things or just generally be in a good mood to show my family how happy I am to be with them. I can really count the times that I have been alone for maybe an hour or two.
Okay, so let's list some fun stuff. Uhm, in case you folks didn't know... we don't flush the toilet paper in CR, so that's been fun! Also, I'm getting ridiculously spoiled. I don't have to do any cooking for myself or do my laundry! In the past four+ years the only time I haven't had to do these things have been special occasions.
Last weekend I went to the beach (manuel antonio – it's on the west side) with a couple friends from the program. It was fun, we had to figure out everything for ourself... with out the internet! It was fun. We stayed in cheap places and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We stayed on the beach all day Saturday and got pretty well burnt. We fed and touched monkeys and then we enjoyed a beautiful sunset over the ocean.
Let's see, next weekend the whole program is going to Limon (it's on the shore of the east side). It's an educational trip, so it won't be near as fun as last weekend. Also, it will be with A LOT of gringos(foreigners...meaning us). Thanks to last weekend my skin is getting darker, so I'm definitely blending a lot more down here. I actually got called moreno (dark skinned) the other day by my mom. That made me happy.
Then, I think the weekend after that (Feb. 1 & 2) I will be staying with some Ticas (Costa Rican females). They're friends of friends and we've hung out a couple times. My sisters here will be at church camp (they're leaders), so I think my mom is going to let me stay the weekend with the Ticas. That should be a nice break from my family and all the gringos.
Everything happens so fast here. It's been forever and nothing all in one for the past two weeks. I still need immense prayer. Pray that I don't let things overwhelm me. Pray that I don't worry about my Spanish skills and that I just work hard and learn as much as I can while I can. Pray that I can communicate well with, at least, my family. Pray that I portray how thankful I am to them for everything. Pray that I am a bright light not only for the people I encounter in Costa Rica, but for people in the program and people that I talk with from back home (You!).
Oh, also, my friend Jackie and Cleyton called the other day. My friend Cleyton needs prayer because his workers visa was denied. Pray that everything works out for him and for God's will for him.
Okay, families, friends, others... love you! Let me know what's up with you. Write me at Twixmixy@gmail.com – please!
God Bless

3 Comments:
Remember to focus on God and everything will fall into place.
He is longing to show you great and mighty things, just leave yourself in His hands... shine for Him!! "become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe" Philippians 2:15 Make His mark on the world!
~A.E.
Great blog post Janet - love to hear from you. We continually pray for you. This is such a neat experience that God has granted you. One that will continue to shape you for His purpose in your life. Take it one day at a time and you will achieve the success that you need in all areas.
I Thes 5:16-18 Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
When things get difficult, remember how you eat an elephant is one bite at a time. - Keep moving forward!
Numbers 6:24-26 "The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace."
We love you and miss you! Thanks for posting your updates....oh BTW, can you bring a monkey home for me? :-)
Love Dad!
awe how do I call you??
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home